Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_salemradiolabs.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 23:48:50 EET

On Thursday 18 December 2003 16:05, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Yeah, it is one of those HP devices (Sony inside), not cheapest device
> as I preferred quality. Of course, it could be a bug or design flaw
> in cdparanoia as well.

Always a possibility.

> I yet have to test ripping starting after the bad location. If that
> works ok, then cdparanoia could just restart after getting "!"
> errors, right?

Sure, but finding the *exact* spot (i.e. with sample-level accuracy) to
restart from is not so easy. Remember, we're talking Red Book CD format here
-- there are no sample-accurate positioning data in the disk sectors, just
PCM samples. If the drive loses streaming, there's no reliable way to
determine precisely where the read left off. Paranoia does contain logic to
try to determine this, but as you've seen, its not foolproof, nor can be it
by the very nature of the task. These sorts of positioning errors can lead
to precisely the sort of "swapped channels" problem you describe.
Ultimately, if the hardware/firmware lies, there's little that can be done
about it beyond indicating that an inconsistency was found (which is what
the ! means).

> Yes, I have a hardware problem, specially when using CDROM
> but also with disks. Buggy IDE I think, or Linux does not support
> Intel IDE well (4.?.18 kernel). Anyone would have a couple of years
> old spare motherboard and could send it free for me?

Then I wouldn't be spending time picking Paranoia apart until this issue is
resolved. I *highly* doubt it's a kernel problem, unless you're running a
bleeding-edge experimental IDE driver. IDE problems in production kernels
tend to get found and fixed very quickly.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's |
| supposed to do. |
| -- Robert A. Heinlein |