Re: [linux-audio-dev] low latency 2.4.x -> 2.6.x

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] low latency 2.4.x -> 2.6.x
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 05:38:35 EET

Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net> writes:

> i wonder about how ready linux 2.6.0 is for audio stuff? Is vanilla
> 2.6.0 with preemtion enabled comparable to 2.4.22 with preemption +
> andrew's LowLatency patches [which i use right now]?

On my system, the vanilla 2.6 with preemption is usable for audio, but
nowhere near as good at low latencies as a properly patched and tuned
2.4 kernel.

> I somewhere read something about merging andrews LL and the preemptible
> patches. Is there any truth to that?

We all hope so.

> What about the 2.4.x capabilities "patch"? Will this work on 2.6.x?

Yes, I think it will. But, 2.6 provides a mechanism for doing this as
a kernel module with no patches required. Here is an experimental
module I built based on earlier work done by Torben Hohn...

  http://www.joq.us/realtime/realtime-0.0.2.tar.gz

--
  joq