Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor
From: Nathaniel Virgo (nathaniel.virgo_AT_ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 20:53:00 EET

I think another great application for such a thing would be a JACK patch
bay. It would be so much easier to use something like this to connect
apps (and internal ardour connections) than it is at the moment. I
always wanted to write such a thing myself but never really had the
time. In many ways a JACK patch bay would be one of the most demanding
applications for this because it has to handle both many-to-one and
one-to-many connections and JACK graphs can be very complicated, so I
would suggest bearing it in mind while designing it, on the grounds that
if it can handle that it will be able to handle many other things as
well. I also think that having the option of embedding synth GUIs into
the graph is very important.

I think the main decision to be made is how much of the layout should be
automated and how much left to the user. On one extreme the user has to
place all the modules and the wires are just straight lines between
them, and on the other the whole thing is laid out by some kind of
optimisation algorithm, with the wires cunningly routing themselves
around obstacles. I think the best option has to be somewhere in between.