Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 22:53:33 EET

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:42:58PM +0000, Mike Rawes wrote:

> With the exception of samples or other 'blob' data (e.g. IR impulses), I'm
> fairly confident that a good modular could be constructed with LADSPA as it is.
> I'm prepared to be proved wrong though!

You're probably right about this. But if I implement all I need using only the
existing LADSPA interfaces, then at least one of the the following would be
true:

- the resulting modules would be technically compliant with the standard, but
completely useless outside the AMS host, as there would be a lot of ports that
carry AMS-specific data.

- or the LADSPA compliant part would only contain *part* of a module (i.e. only
the audio processing), and in that case nothing is gained, as LADSPA is used
only as an internal interface. In fact this would just complicate module
inplementation.

--
Fons