Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 10:28:32 EET

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 13:18, Daniel James wrote:
> > The problem is, in my eyes the term 'linuxaudio' represents linux
> > audio developers, linux audio users, linux audio projects.
>
> As much as I'd like to have seen definitive portals for Linux (in
> general) emerge in the 90's, that didn't happen. Arguably kernel.org
> is more official and important than linux.org or linux.com.

That doesn't mean we should go down that path. Let's learn from that.
What's the best term that accurately identifies both linux audio
developers and linux audio users? I think it's 'linux audio'.

> > Consortium.linuxaudio.org would then be representing a consortium.
> > or foundation.linuxaduio.org for that matter.
>
> That's a good suggestion. If there was a project to build a portal for
> users, rather than just a simple site for industry partners, then
> linuxaudio.org could be the stepping off point for sub-sites. That's
> the sort of project I could imagine the consortium helping to make
> happen in future.

We should first attract linux audio developers and users. Industries
come next. They won't be interested if there's a total of 10 la users
around.

> Don't forget linux-sound.org is already doing a
> good job though.

Agreed. But there are ways of further improving it. I think that it
should be a part of a larger linux audio infrastructure. LAD, LAU,
djcj.org definitely belong to that infrastructure aswell.

Marek