[linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 19:18:00 EET

Hello.

NMEdit was mentioned in my list. I'm in their devel list but
it has been quite quiet.

I will check Graphviz better in a few days but can one make
Quasimodo or Nord Modular type "graphs" with it? In a quick
look I saw some composite icons (not widgets?), but I feel
Graphviz is not very usable for us.

 -*-

Both the standalone editor and the embedded editor would be needed.
Standalone editor could use sockets and shared memory for communicating
between the editor and application. Embedded editor could be launch
by filling in a callback table and calling the editor:
  GtkWidget *editor;
  editor = editor_create(callbacktable);
  gtk_widget_show(editor);

It could be slightly more complex if GTK is not the only supported
toolkit. We also could have editor_menu_create() if one wants
attach the editor related menu to application's menubar.

 -*-

Should we provide a standard (XML script?) for building module
interfaces? New GUI widgets would be included as soon as somebody
writes them. This kind of approach would be needed in creating
plugin GUIs and environments (a la Logic Audio).

Should we allow module author to code the GUI for the module using
directly GTK?

How GMPI handles the plugin GUIs? I see that we would do an overlapping
work here.

 -*-

Assume I have written a module GUI with GTK. I load the calling
function to the editor and create the GUI with
  modulewidget = mymodule_create_gui();
  gtk_widget_show(modulewidget);

Now, can I trace the whole widget hierarchy starting from "modulewidget"?

In GTK, can one attach names to the widgets? E.g., I have a small
pixmap of a connector where a cable is plugged in. I want name all
these widgets as "connector". Then in the editor I would search all
connectors by tracing the widget hierarchy and looking for "connector"
names.

We need to know where these connectors are located because we want be
able to plug the cables in. Alternatively we could describe the
locations in a file, but then we would be bound to the fixed shape GUIs.

 -*-

In gtk related mailing lists I have already suggested a general way
how to implement a zoom in the editor (Widget Portal). If that is not
possible in GTK, then I see no other way than write new widgets with
a zoom ability.

Regards,
Juhana