Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best threads for real time on 2.6?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best threads for real time on 2.6?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 11:24:46 EET

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 05:52:17PM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:
> Hoping some one can throw some light on this for me, I've been dutifully
> doing my best to research it but am overwhelmed with all the info, much of
> which looks like it might be out of date.

You just need JACK. http://jackit.sf.net

JACK automatically makes your audio thread realtime and there are ways to
make it give your other RT threads realtime priorities if you need to.

POSIX threads are the ones people use for audio work.

Disk i/o is no problem, as long as the thread thats doing the disk i/o is
not RT. There are plenty of examples of this, eg in the JACK example
clients directory.

- Steve