Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor
From: Marcus Andersson (marcus.t.andersson_AT_spray.se)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 20:39:57 EET

Dave Robillard wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 16:06, Marcus Andersson wrote:
>

>>Dave Robillard wrote:
>>

>>>But you're mashing the ideas of modules in an app and connecting
>>>
>>>multiple apps together - different problems. A jack patch bay that
>>>works like a modular would definately be cool, but a totally different
>>>project.
>>>

>> From a user's point of view, why should it be different problems? I
>>would want an application that presents both Jack clients and LADSPA
>>plugins as modules, and let me connect them however I want. There is no
>>reason I should have to instantiate "Jack IO modules" to access other
>>applications. Those ports should be created implicitly by the program
>>when I connect a LADSPA plugin and a Jack application.
>>
>>I understand that for efficiency, it is probably not a good idea to
>>route all signals through jackd, but the choice of routing path should
>>be handled automatically by the application and not by the user.
>>

>Like I mentioned earlier, having jack used for every connection in, say,
>a modular synth, would make your jack patching too complicated to be
>useful. This most definatley would not be easier to use.

Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough earlier, but I agree
completely with what you say above. Internal signal routing should be
handled by the application. External signal routing should use Jack.

>Plugins in an app and connecting different apps is just different,
>period. I can't think of any reason to pretend otherwise - it certainly
>doesn't make things easier from a user perspective.
>
>If you want a jack audio out somewhere in your synth.... put one there.
>You can't possibly be arguing that this is too difficult?

Of course it isn't difficult, but if the creation of "jack audio out"
ports can be handled automatically by the application behind the scene,
it will simplify the user interaction. But this is not the only benefit.
The user will also be able see the complete audio routing graph in one
place, and don't need to switch between applications to do so.

I understand that you want to write a traditional modular synthesizer
and that you don't consider a Jack application to be just another
module. But it could be, and the synth could still be as efficient.

I am looking forward to use your synthesizer, whatever it will look
like. Good luck.

Marcus