Re: [linux-audio-dev] Two or more monitors) Re:Project:modularsynth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Two or more monitors) Re:Project:modularsynth editor
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 14:09:45 EET

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 09.57, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
[...]
> > Right, but resolution is just a matter of RAMDAC parameters. All
> > I want is a 3856x1536 framebuffer with one RAMDAC displaying a
> > 2048x1536 window and the other displaying a 1808x1356 window. I
> > don't care about one tiny MB of VRAM being invisible.
>
> True, this should be possible as long as the pixel format is the
> same; I misunderstood before, this is indeed a driver limitation.

And it has to be the same pixel format if it's the same (wide) buffer.
:-)

> > BTW, the 8800 is limited to 2048x2048 for OpenGL contexts, but
> > that seems to be per context, and I'm not inderested in
> > stretching a single context over both screens anyway. (I'm not
> > interested in stretching *anything* over both screens; just
> > moving windows across them, which is not possible with
> > independent desktops.)
>
> That is a problem since there is no way an application can know
> about this limitation and I don't think X has a way of returning
> "window too large" on a window config request.

The driver is supposed to just clip at 2048x2048. Some tester
concluded it does on Windoze, but I haven't tried it on the Linux
drivers. (Though they even have the same bugs as the Windows drivers,
so I'd guess they're pretty closely related...)

| Free/Open Source audio engine for games and multimedia. |