Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA presets was: [ANN] new LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA presets was: [ANN] new LADSPA plugins
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 14:12:45 EET

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:13:21 +0000, Mike Rawes wrote:
> > So once more (I know this has been talked over before on this list):
> > Wouldn't it be very cool if all LADSPA hosts spoke the same language
> > with respect to effects presets?
>
> There already is, in the form of liblrdf (http://plugin.org.uk/lrdf).
> This provides a way of:
>
> * Arranging plugins into a hierarchy (Simulators/Reverbs, Time/Delays,
> Frequency/Filters/Low Pass and so on)
> * Defaults and Presets
> * Labelling of port values (as in the TAP Reverb Presets port)
>
> Host support of the hierarchy is fairly extensive, but the other featues
> aren't AFAIK.

Yes, the library doesnt contain much support for things other than
heirachy, which was the most serious ommision at the time (I think it has
vestigial support for defaults/presets too). If anyone has feedback from
the host side I'd be more than happy to add better support for the other
features.

My plugins would benefit a lot from the point/scale thing Mike posted and
a universal preset format would help a lot.

There is now (undocumented I think) support for hosts adding data to the
lrdf representation and telling it to write out individual presets to
disk. Its possible that ardour uses this for preset handling, but I'm not
sure.

- Steve