Re: [linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 12:11:47 EET

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:57:59 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,

Hi Frank.

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with methods, but I assume you
> mean the "selectors" (don't know what they are called actually) like
> "/foo/tils/org": This youle be a method "/foo/tils/org" supported by
> an application.

Yeah methods are that path names, though I think technically the method
may only be the last bit (org in your example).

> I think, that method discovery is hard to get right in a modular
> environment, namely in Pd. I started to use OSC extensivly in the
> RRADical project to create a network transparent communication path
> between patches. I leave it up to the users of my patches to specify
> the selector they want to use. Example: I have a generic drum machine
> patch. The user wants to use one instance as bass drum, another one as
> hihat. He then can specify e.g. "/snare/note/" and "/bass/note/" to be
> selectors for the notes to play with each respective patch.
>
> Now how should a discovery service discover this?

You would advertise (by sending an OSC method) that you support "RRADical"
at osc://localhost:7000/snare/note/ or whatever and someone who wanted to
connect can query the service discovery service to find out what
"RRADical" services are running.

This (and my previous) descriptions probably aren't very good, but I hope
its starting to make sense. eg. DNS is a service discovery service, you
ask "what services provides "MX for footils.org" and the DNS system
responds "mail3.netbeat.de". We dont need anything as complex as DNS, but
it a commonly used example.

- Steve