Re: [linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [RFC] Lite OSC API
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 13:21:10 EET

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> You would advertise (by sending an OSC method) that you support "RRADical"
> at osc://localhost:7000/snare/note/ or whatever and someone who wanted to
> connect can query the service discovery service to find out what
> "RRADical" services are running.

Okay. There could be (and in my example patches there already are) a
*lot* of such methods. I would think about it in a way like a "site
map" on a webpage. In Pd I surely will have to built such a thing
myself. Currently the method names all are customizeable by the user.
There is no standard way to know what objects are used in a patch and
with which arguments, so I probably cannot just write a plugin that
does this. I'd have to register all methods in a central place by
hand, but this should be possible, I think. I'll have to think about
this a bit more. Of course it would be very nice to get method names
and possible arguments automatically.

This would work for "static pages", but It gets hard though when such
things are dynamically created. The worst case would be analogous to
using cgi-scripts to dynamically create web pages that don't exist
until someone tries to access them. I don't know if this is possible
or even useful for OSC messages, though. Probably not.

ciao