Re: [linux-audio-dev] Vsound-like tools for ALSA?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Vsound-like tools for ALSA?
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 18:52:40 EET

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:02 am, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > ... and, how would one go about doing this for pmidi, an
> > ALSA app that does not support the -D option ?
>
> pmidi plays MIDI events, not PCM data. You have to record the output
> of the synthesizer to get PCM data.

Right, so the synth output is going to be PCM at some stage
(I presume) and shunted to the output devices... surely we
can sneak in there somehow with some dmix magic, or whatever,
and squirrel away a copy of that PCM output to a file ?

I'm particularly thinking of a SBlive with a loaded soundfont
(now that Takashi is kind enough to have given us an asfxload :)

Woops, I kinda hijacked this thread, I hope the original poster
is happy with his answers so far.

--markc