[linux-audio-dev] Lionstracs Mediastation, LinuxSampler, Linux at NAMM

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Lionstracs Mediastation, LinuxSampler, Linux at NAMM
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 19:59:51 EET

Hi,
just back from NAMM, just a few infos for the interested people:

Lionstracs had a booth demoing a preliminary version of the
Mediastation X-76 ( http://www.lionstracs.com )

I've read a thread here about people complaining about the
price of the keyboard. ( $12,000).
I fully agree, the problem was the distributor trying to ask
an exaggerated price.
Too many men in the middle (distributor, retailer) each one wants a big
cut of the pie while the producer of the actual iron usually earns only
a fraction of the price the user pays.
But you know since the distributor hosted Lionstracs at his booth you
cannot complain about the price they want to set :-)

Anyway see Domenico's (Lionstracs head) posting:
http://www.lionstracs.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7

the new price will be around $6200 which is much more in line with
current keyboards.
AFAIK: Korg's flagship the PA X-Pro is about $4500, add mp3 playback
expansion, sample RAM expansion (from 16MB to 32MB :-) ) and you
get into the $5000 - $5500 which is comparable to the Mediastation X-76
price but the X-76 much more iron (256 DSP voices vs 64, 512MB sample
RAM vs 48MB sample ROM, not to mention what you can do in software with
the Athlon 2400+ CPU (LinuxSampler, softsynths, ardour etc).

Anyway if you want to see a couple of videos of the Mediastation X-76 in
action (with crappy audio since it was taken with a camcorder in the
noisy NAMM halls):
(the guys were playing the keyboard over an mp3/wav song that ran in the
background, changing the sounds interactively (mostly by pressing one
single button , eg organ family, and then select organ patch)

You can play them with mplayer/xine too but I think you need the win32
codecs installed.

Length: 2:22 size 23MB
http://www.lionstracs.com/~demos/video/x76smooth1.AVI

Length: 4:58 size 48MB
http://www.lionstracs.com/~demos/video/x76delmar1.AVI

(The GUI at 3:00 in the second video is Paul Davis that tells the
keyboarder to shut up with his 120dB noise :-) )

Domenico told me probably they will sell individual parts too so people
can build their own keyboard without paying an arm and a leg.
  (eg case + MIDI keys + LCD , custom VGA with Linux supported GFX chip etc)
As said this company tries to be open as possible and its success
depends on the success of linux audio too, so I think it's in their
interest to support LAD people.
For example developers could get discounted keyboards in exchange of
code etc, there are many possibilities.
Domenico is in talks with Mathias Nagorni about coming at the upcoming
ZKM with a Mediastation to show it off and that he can meet developers
  offer some paid work for developing new apps (or adapt existing ones)
for the keyboard etc.

BTW: many top engineers of the big 3 keyboards makers came to see the
X-76, seemed quite puzzled that a penguin-powered keyboard exists :-)

regarding LinuxSampler & NAMM read this:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3758500&forum_id=12792

I was quite surprised about the positive reaction.

Other Linux stuff was Plugzilla, a hw expander (a Linux PC) that runs
VST plugins (I've meet Marc Lindahl and Joe, very nice people), then
there was the Muse Research box which is AFAIK similar to Plugzilla and
the Hartmann Neuron was there too but I have not had the time to chat
with them.
(it is linux powered too but they don't tell you so on their website).

ok shutting up :-)

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org