Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Modular Jack patch bay

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Modular Jack patch bay
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 02:31:15 EET

Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 19:19, vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
>
>>My preference :
>>The line doesn't need to be thick. Clicking it selects it (and shows it by
>>changing the color, maybe making it thicker as well ), pressing delete
>>removes it.
>

> I think clicking on a line is just far too difficult to bother.
>

>>Handles of some sort to create segmented patch cords would be nice. As would
>>the ability to rotate a client box over 90 degrees, so you have the
>>connection at the top and bottom.
>>Another feature could be symbolic link objects. Sometimes you have a signal
>>detour to some part of an app that is somewhere else on the graph and
>>allready heavilly connected to all kinds of other stuff. A symbolic-link to
>>foo:input12 foo:output12 could be nice then.
>

> Whew, now this is getting complicated. :) These things are nice in
> modular synths, but wouldn't it be overkill in a patch bay?

hmm. i don't like this symlink idea. kinda kludgy to me, but that's
surely a matter of taste.
how about a feature to collapse an arbitrary part of the graph into
a black box? rubber-band a couple of jack clients, press
ctrl-something and you get a blackbox with all inputs that
originally went into the subgraph and all outs as well, which is
labelled by default with a simple list of the clients inside,
regardless of their ordering.

just an idea...

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Jörn Nettingsmeier Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server) http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)