Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP Scaling Limiter - how's it work?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP Scaling Limiter - how's it work?
From: Tom Szilagyi (tszilagyi_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 09:48:02 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:
> ok - what happens if the input is a 30 hz sine wave?
> assume it's coming from a particularly evil keyboard player ;-)

That's a particularly evil situation. :) The fact is, if you have a
normal musical signal, it will have much higher frequency components so
zero-crosses occur much more frequently than this limit. I investigated
this problem a bit before i settled on that 40 Hz... a mixed signal
(a few instruments together), or higher pitched instruments usually
give average zero-cross frequencies of 8-12 kHz. I tried it with bass
guitar as well (real, no synth) and i didn't run into this limitation.

So if you take a 30 Hz sinusoidal from an oscillator and feed it into
this plugin, then there will be unprocessed segments of audio because of
not fitting in the ringbuffer. But if you really need that (do you?),
you can increase the ringbuf size and thus decrease this freq lower
limit in the code... at the expense of increasing latency.

Tom