Re: [linux-audio-dev] Freeze?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Freeze?
From: Benjamin Flaming (lad_AT_solobanjo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 22:44:38 EET

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 01:52 pm, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 20.25, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Recently Logic 6's Freeze feature was mentioned here, and Freeze
> > is mentioned in a new interview at Emagic's webpage:
> >
> > Q: Any other favorite feature in Logic 6, that you use most?
> >
> > Boris Blank [of Yello]: I think Freeze is ingenious. [ ... ]
> >
> > I'm wondering did Emagic borrow the idea from this list, as the
> > freeze feature was discussed here at november 2001. And soon after
> > that the feature stands in their software.
>
> Me guesses you are referring to
> this:[http://www.eca.cx/lad/2001/Nov/0310.html] message I posted back then.
>
> I'd have to say that they where probably not influenced by that, if they
> where their implementation would have been much more advanced and
> definitely cooler ;-P.
>
> Besides, the ideas might have been new for audio purposes but the
> technology in itself is not new. The ideas suggested where adaptations of
> similar features in the 3d-graphics world. Logic may very well have peeked
> that way too.
>
> I still think about this from time to time and I would really like to see a
> REAL implementation of the proposal. :-)

     So would I - and I'm actively working on it. After spending about a year
planning, revising, and thinking, I've finally started coding an audio
compositing system based on a hierarchal tree structure. Right now, the
program simply replicates an on-disk directory structure in memory, and then
terminates, but I've only been working on the code for a couple of weeks -
and only 1 or 2 days per week. Now that I'm over some of the initial hurdles
(such as figuring out GNU auto-tools), I'll be introducing *basic* JACK
functionality over the next couple of days. FWIW, the sf.net project page is
at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinara/

     As I said, there isn't much there right now, but I'd be happy to set up a
mailing list if anyone is interested. If not, I'll certainly make an
announcement when I make an alpha release. If you take a browse through CVS,
be aware that my "scratchpad" lacks some very significant design ideas and
plans, including a potential GUI design which is currently documented only on
a dry-erase board ;)