Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 15:02:20 EET

Hi,
Zitat von guenter geiger <geiger_AT_xdv.org>:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Still I probably won't test Lindrum :(
> > as I didn't test Hydrogen,
>
> I don't quite understand this attitude. Testing hydrogen would involve
> apt-get install hydrogen, start it and listen to the demo song.

Actually I did this, but I'd regard testing to be a bit more than that.
I didn't intend to badmouth Hydrogen or Lindrum in any way, and I do see
a place for them, but not in the way I work. Which doesn't have to be -
and surely isn't the way others work. Some people choose AMS, some jMax
or Csound, others use many specialized applications like drumsynths and
TB303-emulators. I have no problem at all with this, and I love seeing
this grow.

> Lack of collaboration is one of the weaknesses of the free software
> development (peculiarly enough it is considered one of its strenghts),
> especially with audio software.
>
> Just count the amount of software synths, audio languages, editors,
> and then look at their quality and usability.

Yep, this is a problem. Still there is a lot of difference between
Sweep, Audacity, Rezound and Snd to make all their efforts valid.

ciao

--
 Frank Barknecht                          _ ___footils.org_