Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Experiences

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Experiences
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 20:03:54 EET

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 11:30, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Dave Robillard]
>
> >> Overall, I should mention that the majority of my time was spent
> >> wrestling with LADSPA plugins. Some cased reliability issues in Ardour
> >> (see above, more info to come). Some gave me some OK sounds, but I have
> >> noticed in the mixdown that the guitar orverdrive doesn't have a nice
> >> warm sound. I can't recall the exact plugins I used from memory, but I
> >> did find it hard to find plugins that would give me a nice warm sound on
> >> guitar tracks. Maybe that is something to improve upon.
> >
> >Heh, if we could produce plugins that produced good guitar sounds, Line6
> >would be seriously worried. :)
>
> being the author of plugins intended to fill the gap, i'd love to
> hear some constructive criticism. so would you care to elaborate
> on what you find lacking in our efforts, please?
>
> tim

Oh, well I didn't mean your plugins are inadequate in any way, but that
it's a very complicated problem. Plus, even if you create one good
sounding 'amp'.. that's just one. One amp is never enough for anybody.
:)

Anyway, I own a Behringer V-Amp so I havn't really tested your plugins
much, but I will if you like. I've been a serious guitarist for over
half my life, so I like to think I have an ear for these sorts of
things.

Give me a few days, I'll put some comparison tracks down in audio (if
necessary)

-Dave