Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 11:12:17 EET

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:15:14 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> The functionality provided by the port descriptors is basically OK, what
> *is* missing are the enumerated values - you need these to have sensible
> labels on an n-way switch for example. And that's a very common thing on
> a synth module, or on audio equipment in general, and not a luxury or an
> option. The same mechanism could of course be used for presets.

You cant add it to the port structure without breaking binary
compatibility. You can add it somewhere else, but it will be messy.

You can keep compaining that each new feature is too small to require RDF
every time some suggestion comes along, and insist it goes into ladspa.h,
but if you just stop at some point and think "hey, wouldn't this be easier
if we stopped cramming stuff into the struct?".

What else do you want to move into ladspa.h, categories? presets?

> And I'll repeat my request to have a hint bit saying that port pointers
> can be NULL to indicate that the port is not connected. This is quite a
> 'general' feauture, and it will not break anything, so why the resistance
> and the delay ?

The resistance is because we have come close to adding things to LADSPA
that (in retospect) would have been useless and made everyones life hard.
Personally I think that a hint + NULL buffer is a good idea, but I had to
think (well, argue ;) about it for about a week first. NULL pointers has
not be considered by the wider community, noones voted on it and thier
definatly isn't consensus that its a good idea.

The delay is because Richard (the LADSPA maintainer) is AWOL.

You may not think that the S is very important, but I do - I think its
the key factor that made LADSPA take off over the other plugin systems.

- Steve