Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 10:57:55 EET

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:10:30 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> >Hosts that just want to render the units after slider can just ask "whats
> >the label for port 3's units", whereas hosts that want to do tempo -> time
> >mapping for eg. can ask what they are and what thier relation to seconds
> >is.
>
> i agree that all this information is useful to have, but i would not
> like to push the use of RDF onto hosts intended to be simple.

Nor would I. I also wouldn't want to push the job of understanding units
onto them.

> i have some doubts that the dividing line between internal and
> external should be 'what is necessary to run the plugin?'. we wouldn't
> even have the default value mechanism we have now if that was the
> case.

I think defaults are neccesary and it was a bug that they were missing
form the orginal spec, hence the hint addition.

> a better divider is probably, as has already been hinted, 'meta-data
> is external'. presets surely are meta. what kind of scale/grid to draw
> next to a slider also is. inherent information is not: latency is not
> meta. units are not meta. default values are not meta because they can
> decide between stable and unstable, and give the user detailed clues
> about the intention of the plugin.

Technically speaking everything which is not a port value or an identifier
is metadata. I'd prefer to decide what goes into ladspa.h on a case by
case basis.

> dancing forever around the S in ladspa, yelling 'heretic' at any
> extension proposal, is only going to make us the fools of the
> universe. we only have this standard and things are evolving, and so
> it also must.

I've been backing HINT_MOMENTARY and _RANDOMISABLE for about 6 months.
I think those belong in ladspa.h - scale values and units do not.

- Steve