Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Tom Szilagyi (st444_AT_hszk.bme.hu)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 18:31:50 EET

[[me]]
> > Yes, particular plugins like my reverb or other fairly complex ones
> > could use some extra possibilities, but that can be satisfied by an
> > external and *optional* set of metadata, and i don't see why RDF won't
> > be good for this purpose. The metadata should be (and currently, it
> > *is*) completely optional both to provide and to use. (oh, RDF is
> > bloated... yes, it is. May this be the biggest trouble in our lives :)))

[Fons Adriaensen]
> It's not my biggest trouble, but still one I prefer to avoid.
> And if you mean what you say, why did you introduce that port name
> string that includes all the preset names and that breaks every
> host except Ardour ? Why shouldn't Ardour use the RDF if it wants
> to display the preset names ?

Hey wait... regarding what you write about my "plugin breaking every host
except Ardour":

1. It does *not* break all hosts: it works fine in (at least) JACK-Rack,
GLAME (although i haven't pushed that very hard), and applyplugin (joking,
don't count this). It was reported that it does break ecasound, but not
after commenting out the #define at the top of tap_reverb.h (just check
the docs). So i wouldn't say "my plugins break all hosts except Ardour".
(Oh, and i didn't mention AMS -- Matthias Nagorni wrote a hack (thanks!)
that makes the reverb look nicer, not that fixes its breakage.)

2. And as a last note about the port name string: you don't have to use
it, see #define mentioned above. The newline characters are not forbidden
in ladspa.h AFAIK. And i made it look good in Ardour because i *use*
Ardour and not anything else for my audio engineering, and i wrote this
plugin because i needed to have it. Ardour should use RDF, and i'm sure it
*will* use it -- when it is time. But i needed to have a usable reverb
before that.

Anyway, the progress towards a new solution is very promising (yes, i
really mean this list has a bunch of very cool minds on it), and i will be
happy to adapt all my plugins as soon as a new standard is established.

Tom