Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 15:46:47 EET

[Alfons Adriaensen]

>On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:43:18AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> I disagree: if I have a control thats "wave, INTEGER where 1=sin, 2=tri,
>> 3=sqa, 4=saw" and one which is the same less the INTEGER hint (ie. it
>> crossfades) then the enumeration points are no less importanti in the
>> non-INTEGER case.
>
>OK, then we allow HINT_ENUMERATED for float ports as well, and provide
>a string (or NULL pointer) for each integer in the range. I proposed this
>before IIRC.
>
>I think that in a case like this, you will always be able to map the
>'important points' to integers.

ok. since we don't have any code to base our judgement of this
proposal on, i'll quote an earlier post from you, where you are
referring to the strings describing specific parameter values:

>Appending the labels to the port names array looks very clean to
>me. The array becomes in effect an array that contains all strings
>required - first the top level ones (port names), then the second
>level (enum labels). This is not a dirty trick or an ad-hoc solution,
>it could be generalised to higher levels.

this _is_ a dirty trick and an ad-hoc solution if ever there was one
if you ask me. generalizing this to higher levels gives me nausea.

besides, it has been shown that you need not limit yourself to double
usage of existing descriptor members to maintain binary compatibility.
i know you can do better.

vriendelijk,

tim