Re: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop

Subject: Re: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop
From: ico_AT_fuse.net
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 03:16:43 EET

Hi,

> wait ... this seems to be similar to the problem i have with my hdsp ...
> i can't run it on my linux system at all, althouth it works fine with
> windows xp:
>
> can you try jack as super user with -R flag?

I will try to next week. Right now I am in a bind until this coming Sunday. I will let you know as soon as I am done.

> if you use an input signal, some of the input gets copied to the output
> if a sound application is running, which results some distortion ...
> could you start jack / pd, and try to use any of the input channels try
> several settings of hdspmixer...
>
> the problem with my hdsp is definitely a cardbus driver issue ... from
> what i heard from people who tried to help me is, that there are some
> problems in mapping the memory from the kernel to the buffer inside the
> cardbus bridge ...
> the problem with the kernel driver for the yenta socket is, that it's
> not properly supported ... thomas charbonnel, who maintains the hdsp
> driver and i wrote a message to both the kernel and the pcmcia-cs
> mailing-list, but didn't get any answer...
>
> of course, it could be a problem of the cardbus controller hardware,
> that the windows driver may handle differently than the yenta-socket
> module for linux my machine has an o2micro cardbus controller, that,
> conserning rme's support may produce problems ...
> i'm able to sell my notebook to my mother ;-) and get a new one, soon...
> the only reason, why i won't get an amd64 is that the notebooks that are
> equipped with this chip, have either ene or ricoh cardbus controllers,
> controllers rme warns against ... that's why i'll order a p4 inspiron,
> soon...

I would encourage you to hold off for a couple months, of course if you can afford to wait. It took me literally a good year on my old Inspiron 8000 (later replaced for 8100) before most of the quirks were resolved on it (both Win32 and Linux-side). This is pretty much the case with most of the new technology. For instance my newest toy, the aforementioned m6807 by eMachines has been on the market for barely 2 months and it is in dire need of a BIOS update. Hopefully one will be released by eMachines (although I am a bit skeptical about this one as most of their other products don't have such low-level updates available), but if not, there are plenty of other resellers that might since this model is being rebranded by over half-dozen companies across the world.

> anyway, when i talked to thomas a short time ago, he considered going to
> the lad conference, i'll go there, and concerning the schedule, you'll
> be there, too ... maybe we could try to track this problem down and try
> to contact the kernel mailinglist again...

Absolutely! Looking forward to meeting you!

> i hope that you will be more luck than i was ...

Thanks :-)

Best wishes,

Ico