Re: [linux-audio-dev] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop
From: Tim Blechmann (TimBlechmann_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 14:49:42 EET

> I would encourage you to hold off for a couple months, of course if
> you can afford to wait. It took me literally a good year on my old
> Inspiron 8000 (later replaced for 8100) before most of the quirks were
> resolved on it (both Win32 and Linux-side). This is pretty much the
> case with most of the new technology. For instance my newest toy, the
> aforementioned m6807 by eMachines has been on the market for barely 2
> months and it is in dire need of a BIOS update. Hopefully one will be
> released by eMachines (although I am a bit skeptical about this one as
> most of their other products don't have such low-level updates
> available), but if not, there are plenty of other resellers that might
> since this model is being rebranded by over half-dozen companies
> across the world.
actually i don't _have_ to buy a new machine, but my current system
won't work with my hdsp (i'm unable to rewrite the kernel driver for
the cardbus interface) and my maudio quattro is limited to 4 channels /
kernel 2.4 and the input channels are only working if i restart alsa
several times...
and since i've got these problems on my machine with the hdsp, i'll
probably stick to a cardbus bridge, rme doesn't warn against
(currently i couldn't find any amd64 laptop available in germany, that's
matching these criteria)

> > anyway, when i talked to thomas a short time ago, he considered
> > going to the lad conference, i'll go there, and concerning the
> > schedule, you'll be there, too ... maybe we could try to track this
> > problem down and try to contact the kernel mailinglist again...
>
> Absolutely! Looking forward to meeting you!
but: it's not said, that we experience the same problem ... there are
some differences in the behaviour of our machines ...

some further questions:
- if you play a sound file with aplay, does it take the right time to
  play back? on my machine it took twice as long as it should, i
  suppose, there were 32 samples of the soundfile followed my 32 samples
  zero
- does the _pitch_ of the distortion change, if you change the sample
  rate with hdspconf?

cheers ...

 Tim mailto:TimBlechmann_AT_gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783

--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,