Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to kill a rogue (p)thread

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] How to kill a rogue (p)thread
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 12:38:54 EEST

On tis, 2004-03-30 at 08:51, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could anyone explain how I should go about killing a potensially
> unresponsive thread? Of course there's pthread_cancel, but I don't wish to
> wait for the other thread to reach a cancel point. Basically I'm trying to
> implement a watchdog for a realtime audio thread. Any suggestions are
> welcome, thanks.

man pthread_cancel:

pthread_setcanceltype changes the type of responses to cancellation
requests for the calling thread: asynchronous (immediate) or deferred.

The type argument is the new cancellation type: either

 PTHREAD_CANCEL_ASYNCHRONOUS

to cancel the calling thread as soon as the cancellation request is
received, or

 PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED

to keep the cancellation request pending until the next cancellation
point.

/jens