Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: PdDSP?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: PdDSP?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 10:15:32 EEST

Hallo,
Mr.Freeze hat gesagt: // Mr.Freeze wrote:

> So it's not worth dreaming of a DSP-powered PureData synth...

Sukandar Kartadinata ist working on something like this for some time
now. See http://glui.de/proj/gluiph.html for a general project
description (careful, psycedelic website!) and this PDF:
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/musictech/nime/onlineproceedings/Papers/NIME03_Kartadinata.pdf
for a more indepth discussion.

> Let's turn the problem inside-out: I could still create a PureData
> module that could convert its native patches to the DSP power C/C+
> synth!

It definitely is not that easy. For example, calculations in Pd are
generally done in floats. So you'd first have to change that, as many
DSPs seem to like integer calculations better (or did that change?).
You could start with the PD for PDA project, which did this, but for
Pd 0.32. We're now at Pd 0.37 on general purpose computers.

Ciao