Re: [linux-audio-dev] PdDSP?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PdDSP?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 10:50:37 EEST

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:04:20 +0200, Mr.Freeze wrote:
> Hi,
> Quirky question: is it possible to run PureData (or another
> <place_your_name_here> *modular*) on a DSP (or, still, another
> <place_your_name_here> microcontroller) under a port of Linux?
>
> I was thinking of building an hardware expander that would share the patches of
> its software counterpart, just by dumping them on the device...
>
> Does "m68k" refer to a family of Motorola DSPs?
> http://www.linux-m68k.org

No its refers to the 68000 series processors. Most DSP chips are not
capable of running something like linux nativly, you run linux on a host
processor that controls the DSP.

Porting the opcodes of pure data to a 56k DSP would be an enormous
ammount of work, and you'd probably get similar price/performance by just
buying a faster CPU anyway.

If we had audio over firewire working you could offhand the DSP work to a
stack of cheap miniitx boxes or something, but we dont ;)

- Steve