Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux soundapps pages updated

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux soundapps pages updated
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 19:29:03 EEST

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 06:00:48PM +0200, Peter Eschler wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2004 15:58, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>

> > Well, it would certainly help if the Linux soundapps pages didn't suck
> > so bad. It's all hand-edited HTML, no dynamic content, no user feedback
> > or other portals, no real assessments of the software, too little
> > information for the entries, et cetera ad nauseam.
> >
> > I have lost count of the number of proposals I've received to upgrade
> > the sites to some more modern format. As Robin Whittle described it, the
> > pages are currently merely a monstrous "link farm", useful to some
> > extent, but hardly state-of-the-useful-art. I have less than zero time
> > to put into upgrading the site, and it is my hope that someday I'll be
> > able to turn the whole thing over to the community to turn it into
> > something more like what the community (myself included) would like to see.
>
> Since i did some LAMP sites last year, i have some experience in creating a
> dynamic site. Like with everybody else my time is limited, but trying to
> bring "Sound & MIDI Software For Linux" into a dynamic form using PHP sounds
> like a challenge ;-)

FYI, I'm still planning to implement my own proposal which has
been discussed quite a lot in the L-A-U archives.
I do somewhat similar sites for a living. It just needs me to block out a
chunk of time (1 or 2 weekends) to bang it out.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's THE KILLER MACHINE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)