Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux soundapps pages updated

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux soundapps pages updated
From: Peter Eschler (peschler_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 19:00:48 EEST

On Monday 12 April 2004 15:58, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Well, it would certainly help if the Linux soundapps pages didn't suck
> so bad. It's all hand-edited HTML, no dynamic content, no user feedback
> or other portals, no real assessments of the software, too little
> information for the entries, et cetera ad nauseam.
>
> I have lost count of the number of proposals I've received to upgrade
> the sites to some more modern format. As Robin Whittle described it, the
> pages are currently merely a monstrous "link farm", useful to some
> extent, but hardly state-of-the-useful-art. I have less than zero time
> to put into upgrading the site, and it is my hope that someday I'll be
> able to turn the whole thing over to the community to turn it into
> something more like what the community (myself included) would like to see.

Since i did some LAMP sites last year, i have some experience in creating a
dynamic site. Like with everybody else my time is limited, but trying to
bring "Sound & MIDI Software For Linux" into a dynamic form using PHP sounds
like a challenge ;-)

What i see: For now you just have categories, entries in this categories and a
text for each entry (obviously the link is necessary too).
Is this data available only in HTML? Or do you have some sort of CSV file or
SQL-Data? CSV or database would make the task easier, otherwise it would be
necessary to parse the HTML to get the initial data.

I would try to build the sites upon PHP, allowing to add, delete and modify
content via a webinterface. Webserver has to be run under linux using apache.
The data itself could be stored in a XML file or a SQL-Database. The latter
may introduce additional maintenance work and i'm not a DB guy.

As i said, i can't promise anything, but if you do not have other plans for
the site in your queue, i would give it a try.

PE

--
 "Without music, life would      _O_/ \_O_/ +----------------------+
  be a mistake - I would        / ))    []  | Peter Eschler        |