Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Alternative Sequencer User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Alternative Sequencer User Interface
From: Thorsten Wilms (t_w__AT_freenet.de)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 12:41:23 EEST

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:54:12AM +0200, Adrian Gschwend wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 05:52:36 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>
> >Ok, now the screenshot Tim Orford linked to
> >(http://80.61.20.184/wiki/smgui_5.png)
>
> what application is this? It doesn't really look like Ableton Live because it
> still seems to be the classic sequencer-system as it looks like. In Ableton
> Live you switch between the sessions on the fly.

Strong colours, no pseudo 3d look and the screen divided into sections
is what reminded me of Live (which I only know from reviews/screenshots).

> About blender, I never worked with it but it does look quite nice to me. And
> your skills could definitely be used on some Linux audio apps, some GUI's are
> plain ugly :-)

There's an introductionary tutorial for Blender here:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_User_Interface_Tutorial.224.0.html

It explains the windowing system, and should help to give you a better
idea of what I was talking about. Of course, best is to just try it out!

> What exactly could you provide? Probably there are developers out there who
> would love to work with you on a GUI, you design and they code for example.

Generaly, while I'm willing to work on details and some graphic design,
I'm more interested to (help) work along a design process. Starting with
a briefing (the essence and main goals of a project), doing some
research (how is something solved elsewhere, what can be learned from
other areas ...). Then conception (I think this is my strong area)
and working form interaction to interface design (defining what actions
take place on an still abstract level and working towards how it will
look like).

This still makes sense starting from an existing application,
it's only more complicated.

I can provide mockups and if it realy has to be Flash simulations.
Some stuff I have created for Blender:
Research and mockup:
http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/layers/index.html
(allthough I have to admit this is an example of me thinking a bit
to complicated ... and I can't always go in such depth)

Flash simulation of an alternative Toolbox (Blenders context menu operated
by space bar)
http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/toolbox/index.html

Don't be scared by the widget designs also being around there (it's all
experimental) or the web design. I know it's very dry, a better example
of my webdesign can be found here:
http://www.code.uni-wuppertal.de/en/course_of_study/classes_past/01_02_bluetooth/

I can also test applications and provide in depth critics (and ideas
for improvement). But I prefer to do so by request, because it might
otherwise be misinterpreted as attack.

Oh, and I'm very interested in the big picture. I think inside the Jack
arena applications should start to be more like plugins inside a framework.
Like a big modular synthesizer. The technical side of this seems to be quite
advanced, but on the user interface side things need to be much easier /
more integrated.

---
Thorsten Wilms