Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 18:28:31 EEST

> debian is about to exclude all "non-free" material from their
> distributions. this includes firmware, documentation et al.

Hi Paul,

Where did you read that? It is not what i understand from the changes to
the Social Contract, http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003
5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do
not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
"contrib" and "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The
packages in these areas are not part of the Debian system, although
they have been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD
manufacturers to read the licenses of the packages in these areas and
determine if they can distribute the packages on their CDs. Thus,
although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use
and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
tracking system and mailing lists).

Which seems to me just like the current situation. But IANADGE
(I am not a Debian guidelines expert)

maarten