Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 01:24:17 EEST

On tis, 2004-04-27 at 18:35, Chris Cannam wrote:
> Disposable Soft Synth Interface (DSSI, pronounced "dizzy")

-<snip>-

> The full RFC may be read here:
>
> http://dssi.sourceforge.net/RFC.txt

OK! I have read this now.

I find the following to be an overcomplication. First you have:

| <base path>/program
| Make a program change on the plugin. Takes two int arguments, for
| bank and program number. (required method)

.. and then just after:

| <base path>/midi
| Send an arbitrary MIDI event to the plugin. Takes a four-byte MIDI
| string. ...

.. which covers program change very nicely and even covers multitimbral
synths receiving on several channels (which is for some reason not
covered by the required method?)

I also find that in

| 2. Discovery and Startup ...

.. it would be so much much simpler to just have two commands:

show_ui(), hide_ui() or perhaps: ui(TRUE), ui(FALSE)

.. and let the developer spawn a thread, a process or a program (recommended!)
which will take care of the user interface. The plugin "knows" its own
structure and can present a useable layout. The interpreter of a query will
probably just run out of screen real estate.

For reference: I have 16 channels with 164 parameters each ...
That is to the unsuspecting interpreter a humble 2624 parameters
on screen :)

mvh // Jens M Andreasen