[linux-audio-dev] Re: RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 12:23:49 EEST

Hi!

Apparently our mailsever has been blacklisted by all-day-breakfast ...
Damned script-kiddies :(

So, since this discussion is kind of relevant here, I try get the
message thru anyway. Sorry Chris!
On tor, 2004-04-29 at 16:11, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Thursday 29 Apr 2004 2:19 pm, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > I think I will not be really, totally happy before I see something
> > like:
> >
> > void (*midi_msg)(LADSPA_Handle instance,
> > unsigned byte msg[4]);
>
> This would be exactly equivalent to the existing run_synth(), would it
> not?

Mmm .. This would replace, I think, all of your considerations on how to
extend LADSPA. It is (probably?) the only extension really needed. MIDI
is a very powerful protocol, and the beuty is that the client needs only
to implement those parts it needs to get going.

For a synthesizer one can ignore start, stop and pause as well as SMPTE,
but for a sequencer or arpeggiator timing would be the name of the game.

As a synthesizer developer I *could*, if I wished so, implement
running-status and thus discover that I have been disconnected, but it
is not required ...

mvh // Jens M andreasen