Re: [linux-audio-dev]converting old pc hardware to a live music performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev]converting old pc hardware to a live music performance
From: Green (green_AT_commonsound.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 18:59:21 EEST

I've also been playing around with real-time audio fx using
a VIA mainboard and MIDI for the controls..

Here's some documentation of a project I did with this:
(ecasound, analog controls->MIDI, ladspa effects...)
http://4ms.org/influx9/

One obstacle I've had is boot time! It's annoying to have
to wait 30 seconds for the thing to boot, and if the power is
interrupted during a live preformance..ugh.
Sure I could pare down a little more the init.d, but how do
pro embedded systems boot in a matter of seconds?

Mounting the fs read-only is a good idea, but does anyone
have other tips for making it more like an old-time
analog fx unit (power-on==>instant sound, power-off==>no harddisk damage)?

BTW, i'm new to this list, I searched and browsed the archives a bit
but didn't find this discussion... please direct me if this has already
been talked about!

Dann