Re: [linux-audio-dev]converting old pc hardware to a live music performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev]converting old pc hardware to a live music performance
From: Arnold Krille (arnold_AT_arnoldarts.de)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 21:35:32 EEST

On Monday 03 May 2004 17:59, Green wrote:
> I've also been playing around with real-time audio fx using
> a VIA mainboard and MIDI for the controls..
> Here's some documentation of a project I did with this:
> (ecasound, analog controls->MIDI, ladspa effects...)
> http://4ms.org/influx9/
> One obstacle I've had is boot time! It's annoying to have
> to wait 30 seconds for the thing to boot, and if the power is
> interrupted during a live preformance..ugh.
> Sure I could pare down a little more the init.d, but how do
> pro embedded systems boot in a matter of seconds?
> Mounting the fs read-only is a good idea, but does anyone
> have other tips for making it more like an old-time
> analog fx unit (power-on==>instant sound, power-off==>no harddisk damage)?

Perhaps you could try to optimise the kernel and remove _everything_ you don't
need from the init...
Next step would be to put Linux on your bios...

Arnold, who also has some old hardware around if only I could get the
guillemot maxi sound 32 to work with linux...

BTW: I don't know if that question is really for developers. Perhaps user is a
better place...

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---