[linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?
From: Niklas Werner (bergtroll_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 09:26:22 EEST

Hi .*,

I am doing my PhD at the University of Waikato's Music Department, NZ with
Ian Whalley.
I am going to develop a Web-based interactive sound art system allowing
composers/players to incorporate aesthetic approaches from electronic
music, net.art, sonic art and soundscapes.

I am trying to get away from using MIDI in favour of OSC and direct DSP on
the audio (That's why I'm thinking of using SuperCollider). I will direct
much attention to the musical quality of the system's output, possibly in
exchange for not getting a decent interface done.

Features will basically be:
- "off-line" interface for composers to create sound art
pieces/installation for the web (this is where there must be a framework
to allow "composition" of the Net's peculiarities (latency, jitter,
interaction between the players, etc...) in addition to the usual musical
parameters
- on-line interface for "players" to mess around with the installation
- All that probably in a p2p approach using a server only for net-address
brokerage

An outdated proposal of this can be found at:
http://www.niklaswerner.de/Assets/PhD-Thesis-Expose_EN.pdf

Is anybody already working on such a beast (or similar, of course) or
knows anybody who is? (I am aware of quintet-net, peersynth, FMOL,
jam2jam, webdrum/JSyn, Dase, Lemu and some others and have contacted
their authors)

Is SuperCollider really up to that challenge or does another programming
language spring to anybody's mind?

Have fun*

Niklas