Re: [linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 10:41:29 EEST

Hallo,
Niklas Werner hat gesagt: // Niklas Werner wrote:

> I am doing my PhD at the University of Waikato's Music Department, NZ with
> Ian Whalley.
> I am going to develop a Web-based interactive sound art system allowing
> composers/players to incorporate aesthetic approaches from electronic
> music, net.art, sonic art and soundscapes.
>
> I am trying to get away from using MIDI in favour of OSC and direct DSP on
> the audio (That's why I'm thinking of using SuperCollider).

Many other applications also support OSC. For web based installations
and for many other things I'd say, OSC is the way to go. It just
misses hardware support. ;) You can go the flash route and use flosc
os similar, or incoporate Java plugins or even just CGI.

> Is anybody already working on such a beast (or similar, of course) or
> knows anybody who is? (I am aware of quintet-net, peersynth, FMOL,
> jam2jam, webdrum/JSyn, Dase, Lemu and some others and have contacted
> their authors)

You're sadly missing Pd (Pure Data) in this list, which is used
immensly often in sound installations on the web although it might not
be visible upfront. Just ask on pd-list and there will pop up a lot of
examples like the work by Pall Thayer, http://www.this.is/pallit/

Ciao