Re: [Agnula-Developers] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Subject: Re: [Agnula-Developers] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers
From: Andrea Glorioso (andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 13:10:30 EEST

> Firmware is supplied as a binary data file. As our linux driver
> is open source, the means of loading the data is there for all
> to see. All the code that runs on the host computer is open
> under either GPL or BSD style licence.

> But there is no way the company would release the source code
> for the firmware! (in fact we are contractually prevented from
> doing so in some cases).

That's a very strong point. And until the Free Software audio scene
becomes strong enough (which could happen in some times that I can't
really tell now) you won't be able to put enough pressure on
manufacturers to relax their rules on industrial secret.

For the record: I'm keeping notes of all the various positions. I
expect we (as the AGNULA project) will be able to reach a decision on
this matter by the end of may (maybe sooner, it depends on how busy we
will be on other things).

bye,

--
Andrea Glorioso                      andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org
AGNULA Technical Manager                 http://www.agnula.org/