Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 14:05:00 EEST

On ons, 2004-05-12 at 11:04, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Robert Jonsson hat gesagt: // Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
> > A point list of bad things:
> > - For audio work the bundled 2.6 kernel is not good enough.
>
> This depends on the kind of audio work you do. I can do all I want
> reliably with 2.6 since I installed 2.6.3 the first time. I don't
> record 12 channel audio, though. But it's oversimplifying to say, that
> 2.6 isn't good enough "for audio work". It's very good and almost
> perfect for many kinds of audio work.

To clearify: I use my linuxbox almost exclusively as a realtime
midi-synthesizer. The occasional "hick-up" is not a problem, or at least
it is no worse than the audience stepping with high heels and
vacuumcleaners into my patchwork ...

I have Mandrake 9.2 installed now, and except for the upgrade to GTK2 it
is mostly a downgrade (from Mandrake 8.2.)

If I am to downgrade even further and wipe a working system, I would
like the following to runable:

1) A working gcc/emacs combination.
2) A working mail/usenet/www combination.
3) A working TeX/LaTeX/LyX combination (Not required.)

Mmmm ...

4) This machine works both as a firewall and a shared conection without
me knowing so very much about how to do. The "audience" would like to
keep it that way.

Can I get all of this? And have a realtime working ALSA too?

To reiterate the question: SuSE 9.0 or Mandrake 10.0?

/jens