Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 01:25:30 EEST

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 06:46:18AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Once libsndfile gets Ogg Vorbis and Speex support, FLAC support is
> also high on the list. Since libsndfile accepts WAV-EX (stupid fscking
> microsoft idea) it will be able to transcode WAV-EX -> FLAC without
> a problem. libsndfile also comes with a command line player (works
> in windows) so that can solve the playing problem as well.

Hi Erik, thanks for your response.

I had a look at the libsndfile formats matrix, and of course there's
WAV, but I didn't see WAV-EX. Do you mean libsndile *does* support
WAV-EX ? That would solve at least part of the problem. It's not
clear to me what is the difference between the two, maybe you could
explain.

> Colonisation of the windows world by Free Software is very definitely
> on topic :-).

Being on both the LAD and the Surround Sound lists (the latter being
dominated by Windoze & MAC), I'm quite often exposed to a culture shock.
And apart from the colonisation effort, I would really like to obtain
Angelo's recordings :-). The WAV vs. WAV-EX problem seems to return
quite often on the sursound list - apparently most of the windows tools
support one but not the other. I'm amazed by the way windows users
seem to be locked in by their tools. Angelo Farina has written some
very interesting and not at all trivial software for acoustic analysis
for windows, but a simple format conversion seems to be a problem...

--
Fons