Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 10:21:52 EEST

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:25:30 +0200
Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be> wrote:

> Hi Erik, thanks for your response.
>
> I had a look at the libsndfile formats matrix, and of course there's
> WAV, but I didn't see WAV-EX.

The matrix is probably just a little out of date :-).

> Do you mean libsndile *does* support WAV-EX ?

Yes, read and write although it probably requires a little more testing.

> That would solve at least part of the problem. It's not
> clear to me what is the difference between the two, maybe you could
> explain.

Its really just some very minor additional fields in the header. If the
software is clever enought to skip over the garbage, and deal with a
slight variation in the 'fmt ' chunk, a standard WAV file reader should
work perfectly. AFAIAC, it almost doesn't justify its own format :-).

> > Colonisation of the windows world by Free Software is very definitely
> > on topic :-).
>
> Being on both the LAD and the Surround Sound lists (the latter being
> dominated by Windoze & MAC), I'm quite often exposed to a culture shock.

Yep, I know all about that.

> And apart from the colonisation effort, I would really like to obtain
> Angelo's recordings :-). The WAV vs. WAV-EX problem seems to return
> quite often on the sursound list - apparently most of the windows tools
> support one but not the other.

Most of the windows programs have their own WAV file I/O stuff and most
are far less robust than libsndfile.

> I'm amazed by the way windows users
> seem to be locked in by their tools. Angelo Farina has written some
> very interesting and not at all trivial software for acoustic analysis
> for windows, but a simple format conversion seems to be a problem...

Suggest that he use libsndfile for file I/O :-).

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
A good debugger is no substitue for a good test suite.