Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 18:50:42 EEST

Hallo,
Marek Peteraj hat gesagt: // Marek Peteraj wrote:

> Judging from the current situation of the audio market that includes
> proprietary app/plugins, the popularity thereof, from the numerous
> reviews i've seen and from the numerous forum threads i've read...
>
> You're representing a very small minority :)

True, my taste is special, but it's also, because people working with
Pd, Max/MSP, Supercollider or similar tools have everything they need
in those apps, thus in general they don't need to hunt down new hip
applications, which often are only doing a single task, in magazines.

But I intended to point out two other things:

* First is, that usability has nothing to do with nice looks. I
truely believe - and given some research time, I'm sure I could prove
it as well - that photorealistic graphical user interfaces modelled
after hardware when shown on a screen are far from usability. Other
people will probably want just that: photo-GUIs. I fear, looking at
the commercial audio market, that exactly these might happen in the
Linux Sound world: eye candy, but bad usability.

* and then I'd like to add, that usabilty in the Linux world comes
from customizabilty, which is mostly absent in the Windows world. The
Unix philosphy is built upon small (or specific) tools that can be
combined in various, *custom* ways and that can be used to let the
computer appear in a way, the user wants, not the other way around.

LADSPA combined with Jack is of course a good example of this
philosophy. Look e.g. at Jackrack: it does provide a consistent GUI
for LADSPA plugins, that you could use just fine with every other
jack-enabled application, and one will get a very usable and
consistent interface. And that even without Steve wasting his precious
time writing GUI code. ;)

Ciao