Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 07:21:16 EEST

Hi Jussi:

  I've seen realtime waterfall spectral displays, they're a bit more
than 3D versions of the spectrograms produced by HASAS or baudline or
any other Linux spectrum analyzer. The signal is represented as a
constantly changing display, with colors indicating frequency intensity,
and dying away after appearing (as opposed to remaining static,
obscuring subsequent frequencies with perhaps less intensity). Again, if
you looked at the images for Spectrogram and Cspect you can see exactly
what I'm talking about.

  Snd produces a beautiful OpenGL spectral display, but it is a
non-realtime display. Bill S. indicated that there was a way to make it
work in realtime, but when I tried it I discovered that my machine
really wasn't able to keep up, and the display did not include the
fading effect described above.

  Btw, I apologize for not knowing the exact vocabulary to describe
exactly what it I want, but again, look at the images for Spectrogram
and Cspect, then imagine them in a rolling display, and that should give
the idea.

Best regards,

dp