Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?
From: iain duncan (iainduncan_AT_telus.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 04:12:32 EEST

> There's a /lot/ more information available in a MIDI performance, so the
> potential to do interesting things is greater. Flash the screen
> whenever the kick drum goes, have notes represented on screen as 3D
> objects using frequency for location, filter cutoff controlling
> lighting, blah blah etc. etc.

This is simply not true though! If you have an audio feed that is kick
only, there is far more information available by analysing the audio
than with a simple midi note on/velocity/duration. If the kick sound is
spectrally analysed the light can be riding the amplitude and frequency
content over the course of the note instead of just turning on when the
drum starts.

However, the above does require a *lot* more cpu use to break apart
composite audio channels or a lot more hardware and cpu use to work on
multi-track input.

As I said earlier though, there is no reason not to enable both. Or even
enable midi messages based on audio analysis.

Iain