Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Tim Orford (tim_AT_orford.org)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 16:15:12 EEST

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:46:36PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:42:32PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > I can give you a perfect example - a *reference* DAW system - ProTools.
> > Which, in ver. 6, has gone eye-candy.
> > Guess why.
>
> The core app is still pretty plain (apart from a bit a 3d-ish shading), its
> the bundled plugins that are photorealistic.
> http://www.digidesign.com/products/sw/index_tdm.cfm

and neither do they market entirely to professionals. Most of
Digidesigns efforts in the last few years have been at the bottom
end of the market where they can shift more units. Their pro
hardware for example is looking quite sad these days.

One struggles to find pro music software in the same way that you get
in say the 3d industry. While i am not very familiar with them, i think
the Neve and SSL offerings are much more practical - not that they
are good examples to copy.

--
Tim Orford