Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: UI stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: UI stuff
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 23:57:38 EEST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 20:33, Ben wrote:
>  On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:15, Ben wrote:
> > > Sounds interesting. This is what I do for a living. But would any
> > > of
> > > the linux audio developers actually follow it?
> >
> > You mean you're a usability engineer?
> >
> > Marek
> >

> Er, yes. In addition to graphics designer, programmer, tech supporter
> and occasional gofer.
>
> The audio industry is actually quite tiny. I doubt that ANY audio
> software company has a dedicated usability engineer. I've never seen
> such a position posted.

Believe it or not, they have. And they've got continuous feedback from
professional community.

You just can't concentrate on everything and make it 100%. And
absolutely not if you're 2-3guys working on a big project.

Forget about it.

The advantage of a usability engineer is, he doesn't have to know the
internals of an application, and it's even better if he doesn't since
that would distract him from his actual work - to design the UI to be as
logical, intuitive, effective and easy to use as possible and according
to habits of most users. In order to do that, he has to think as a user,
not as a developer.

Marek