Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 01:07:35 EEST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 17:26, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> But you guys *are* following proprietary software in general. Ardour is
> a DAW just like cubase is, while SSM resembles reaktor in its
> philosophy. LADSPAs are plugins like VSTs are, etc etc etc. There's
> nothing which is perfectly original.
>
> I've never seen such inapt community btw, which is totally ignorant in
> organizing itself. See the gnome community which started to exist the
> same year. They have more conferences per year, one of them being
> huge(guadec) with sponsors, larger companies involved, and *most* of
> *all* they're a centralised community.
>
> What we have is tons of links and no information. Although there are
> some very good standards which could be successful even in another
> domain(e.g. jack), nobody cares to promote them.
>
> Lots of LADders even think that this mailing list isn't really
> important. Nobody cares that it actually represents a pretty central
> meeting point for developers interested in linux audio, and a perfect
> knowledgebase.
>
> We also have an organisation, which isn't really an organisation since
> it's not a legal entity, and about 2/3rds of all don't seem to even
> participate. And that organisation seems to have different goals than
> promoting and protecting linux audio in *general*, *whether* pro or not,
> i.e. the linux audio community.
>
> Centralising information and provoding easy access is a pretty good way
> to promote linux audio so that it reaches more developers and users, you
> don't need marketing hype for that. No matter if it concerns linux audio
> in general or ladspa plugins.
>
> The gnome community already provides that, the kde community aswell.
> Heck, there's even a linuxprinting.org community. Do i need to say more?
>

> > Personally speaking, as a free software developer I don't care if my
> > programs are deemed as sucessful, they work for me, and handful of other
> > people - this makes me happy :)
>
> I'd like to see what other developers of the most popular linux audio
> projects think. Because if they share your opinion, i'd rather save some
> bucks and buy myself a mac.
> Linux audio is perfectly unusable for me. Currently.
>
> Marek

Marek,

        I hate to break this to you but I've got a life, a job, a wife, two
kids, one in college, 3 bands, and I travel for my job about 30% of the
year. I'm not interested in making money or getting customers from
JAMin. I do this because I enjoy it. I do it because I use it myself.
I do it because other people can use it and appreciate the work that
goes into it. I started working on JAMin originally because I thought
that I owed people like Paul Davis, Steve Harris, Jack O'Quin, Fernando,
Erik, Jaroslav, Jesse, Taybin, Takashi, ad infinitum something back for
the work that they have poured into the tools that I use on a daily
basis. If you want to organize something go ahead and organize it, but
please don't tell me that I have to conform to some consumer driven
vision of the great commercial future of Linux Audio. I also doubt if
there is a single developer in the Linux Audio Developer community who
could accurately be described as inept.

Jan