Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 01:56:49 EEST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 16:11, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> What you guys blatantly underestimate is that in order to bring your
> apps to users (= having success, sorry ;) it doesn't suffice if you're a
> developer. You have to be a good manager, have a goal that you'd like to
> reach(other than fooling around with code, if that's the case, ignore
> this email).And that a really good and successful app has got both -
> comfort and the underlying technology. What linux audio offers is
> technology. No comfort at all. Right now it's all just academic
> software.
>
> <rant over>
>
> Marek

I don't think I could possibly care less who uses 'linux audio'. I
don't really think anyone else here should either - we should be aiming
to build the best system possible, period. Not saying "look! popular
software the people pay money for does this; therefore we must too!"

If anything, we should be looking at the proprietary music software
world to make sure we avoid repeating their mistakes (ridiculous
duplication of effort, lock-in, and horrid UIs for example), not
duplicating them just because. (Not to say we can't take positive
things from that world too though)

-DR