Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 04:00:47 EEST

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 00:32, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:40:00AM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > > Good. I /like/ the current (lack of) linux audio community. Its not like
> > > we're one homogenous organisation. Were just a bunch of people who hack
> > > linux audio systems. Its great :)
> > >
> > > The only real connection we have is that were all doing audio hacking
> > > under linux - some are using GTK and C, some Qt and C++, some python...
> >
> > Right. And most people do use linux audio standards - JACK, LADSPA,
> > ALSA. And lots of people from here talk about them and make them better.
>
> Yup, and thats good too. I'm addicted to standards incase you havent
> noticed :) the benefit of standards and specs is that you can go off and
> do your own thing, in your own way, but it will still work wither other
> peoples stuff.

Standards are often well promoted. At least they have a dedicated site
with (to some extent) centralised information.

> > > I think the linux audio world is too small and varied to have a tightly
> > > knit organisation like the Gnome guys.
> >
> > But.. why are you participating in linuxaudio.org then? Seriously, i
> > don't understand, no sarcasm.
>
> I dont see the connection. linuxaudio.org (IMHO) is about providing
> information about linux-audio-y things to outside orgainsiations. Its not
> trying to herd all the developers in one direction.

Ad 1) Each and every organization is trying to herd people in one
direction. That's one purpose of an organization. It usually consists of
people who share the same goal.

Ad 2) that goal has be declared here --
http://eca.cx/laa/2004/01/0012.html
To quote the subject:
"LINUXAUDIO.ORG CONSORTIUM LAUNCHED TO CREATE PROFESSIONAL AUDIO TOOLS"

Marek